Archive for November, 2008

Walkleys recognise News Ltd chief

November 28, 2008

JOHN Hartigan, chairman and chief executive of News Ltd, was recognised with the award for Journalistic Leadership as the Australian media celebrated its achievements in 2008.

THE 53rd Annual Walkley Awards for excellence in journalism were held last night at Crown Casino, Melbourne.

Journalists and photographers from the News Ltd and Fairfax Media groups shared in the spoils, while the coveted Gold Walkley went to Ross Coulthart and Nick Farrow, of Channel 9’s now defunct Sunday program for their ‘Butcher of Bega’ story.

Mr Hartigan made special mention of former News Ltd executive Warren Beeby in his acceptance speech, citing him as a key driver for the company’s endeavours to promote freedom of the press. Mr Beeby was a board member of PANPA up until his retirement last year.

The Walkley for Most Outstanding Contribution to Journalism went to the late Pamela Bone, who was a crusading columnist with The Age before she died in April of multiple myeloma.

The print segment was split between News and Fairfax, with the metropolitan and national titles of each publisher scoring five awards each for excellence in writing, photography and cartooning.

Fairfax scooped a further five awards in the section for reporting excellence open to all media, including the only successful regional newspaper, the Illawarra Mercury, who won the Coverage Of Community Or Regional Affairs category for Mario Christodoulou’s work on Wollongong’s Corruption Scandal.

The full list of winners can be viewed by clicking here.

Advertisements

Monster mashes with News on jobs

November 27, 2008

NEWS Ltd’s career and recruitment services have been boosted by a partnership with global jobs giant Monster Worldwide, the companies announced.

Monster will own half of News’ CareerOne in the deal, while the Australian publisher will utilise Monster’s decade of experience in the sector to improve their jobs offering in print and online. Specific terms of the agreement remain private.

News Ltd Chairman and Chief Executive, John Hartigan, said: “Monster led the world in creating the online jobs market, and a decade later its expertise and technology is unrivalled. The combination of News Limited’s sales and marketing prowess, together with Monster’s world-class technology and expertise, make a powerful combination.”

Monster, who have presences in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia, will look to grow CareerOne into the number one career and recruitment site in Australia, said Sal Iannuzzi, Chairman and CEO of Monster Worldwide.

“With 140 newspapers reaching nearly 12 million people each week, News Limited provides the largest audience of any publisher. When coupled with the Monster experience, this joint venture will become the leading career and recruitment destination in Australia,” he said. Seek.com.au is currently the most visited jobs site in the region.

Paper names and shames local crims

November 25, 2008

A NEW Zealand daily has devised a joint name and shame campaign with local police to keep its town safe.

The most recent edition of The Daily Post’s Most Wanted campaign has seen 15 people on the run from police back behind bars, the paper said.

The Post publishes the photos and details of people wanted for failing to appear in court or breaching court orders once a month.

The feature has a double effect of bringing in the wanted people who are published, and convincing others  who fear being identified in the paper to turn themselves in first.

More than 120 people have been back before courts facing their charges since Most Wanted launched in July, according to the Post.

Of the 15 people who gave themselves up since last Monday’s edition, four had been published in Most Wanted.

Rotorua Constable Karen Boyce said Most Wanted was hugely successful and many of those handing themselves in feared having their photographs and details published, the Post reported.

Chat delivers online storm

November 25, 2008

WILD weather in southeast Queensland brought chaos and damage to residents, and record numbers of readers to the Courier-Mail’s website.

It was far from just bad news being good business for the newspaper. Rather than act solely as a teller of woe, the couriermail.com.au site carried some innovative functionality that helped readers communicate and assist each other throughout the crisis that struck earlier this month.

The website carried a Storm Chatter that allowed readers to post comments live in a chatroom format. This ongoing conversation formed part of a wider Wicked Weather In-Depth area, which contains stories, satellite images, forecasts and weather warnings.

(more…)

Thai daily narrows Sunday edition

November 24, 2008

From Factiva Media Blab:

The Sunday Nation newspaper in Thailand has adopted a new narrower format of 12 inches. In addition the newspaper launched a new glossy Sunday magazine entitled Ace.

According to Leroy Sylk, the design director of The Nation, the weekday edition of paper will probably convert to the narrower format sometime in the near future, like its rival The Bangkok Post.

The narrower format allows the paper to cut costs and be “more reader friendly.”

Digital magazine goes for digital delivery

November 24, 2008

THE world’s leading computer publication, PC Magazine, is about to print its last issue, which will go on sale in January.

Readers are promised a digital version of the magazine – similar to the versions of the PANPA Bulletin that are created by RealView Technologies and linked from our home page. PC Magazine has been offering its own alternative for six years and has now decided it is time to stop the presses.

Initial response on the website to news that there will no longer be a print edition has been largely negative. “This is a joke, right”, said one comment to the announcement by the editor Lance Ulanoff.

(more…)

2300 British media job cuts in 7 days

November 24, 2008

From Factiva Media Blab:

AFP reports that British media groups face a growing crisis, with more than 2300 job cuts announced within the past week and hundreds more expected against the backdrop of a deepening global downturn.

Newspapers are under particular threat, as readers abandon them for online sources of news, while advertising rates drop, free papers saturate the market and the price of newsprint is expected to soar.

The industry publication Press Gazette recently estimated about 140 jobs a week have been cut in daily newspapers since July, with regional papers hardest hit.

All the national dailies have announced staff cuts, while broadcasters plan to shed thousands: 3000 at the BBC, 1000 at ITV and 150 at Channel Four.

News Corporation boss Rupert Murdoch, whose company owns The Times, The Sun and the News of the World in the UK, said the press faces a grim 12 months in Britain and Australia.

“All media companies are being tested and the year ahead will be difficult. You will see leaner operations,” said Murdoch, whose multimedia empire reported profits down 30 percent at the end of September.

BusinessDay, RugbyHeaven join stuff family

November 21, 2008

FAIRFAX Media’s BusinessDay.co.nz and RugbyHeaven.co.nz sites will be absorbed into the central stuff.co.nz web brand early next year, Fairfax reported.

The five-month-old BusinessDay site will keep its identity but become the business section of the Stuff site.

Likewise, the previously stand-alone RugbyHeaven brand will still be able to be accessed in the normal way, but will connect readers with the universal Stuff functionality and content.

“BusinessDay and RugbyHeaven have been enormous successes online. It will be fantastic to be able to showcase our wealth of business and sports reporting expertise within the larger Stuff site,” said Sinead Boucher, group online editor.

Cricket coverage update: who’s in, who’s out

November 20, 2008

THE New Zealand Press Association (NZPA) has refused to comply with Cricket Australia’s (CA) “unacceptable” accreditation terms, following the lead set by international news agencies Associated Press, Agence France Press and Reuters.

NZPA journalists will not be allowed to report on the Test match between Australia and New Zealand, which started today in Brisbane.

Areas of conflict between media and the sports body include:

  • Rules on how newspaper websites can be updated
  • Veto power for Cricket Australia over which websites and non-sports magazines the agencies are allowed to syndicate content to
  • Restrictions affecting the distribution of content to mobile news services

Fairfax Media NZ and APN NZ, the two biggest newspaper publishers in the country, reluctantly agreed to the terms at the last minute for the sake of their readers.

Australian companies AAP, News Ltd and Fairfax Media have signed up to meet CA’s demands, which limit the distribution of editorial content, The Australian reported.

Getty Images will meet their commercial obligations by capturing pictures of play, but will not circulate images for editorial purposes.

NZPA editor Nick Brown told Fairfax’s stuff.co.nz the agency would be breaking its contractual obligations to some of its clients if operated under CA’s terms.

“Cricket Australia is also wanting to negotiate with NZPA and other New Zealand media paying a licence fee to supply commercial websites. This is also unacceptable to NZPA,” Mr Brown said.

“We’ve signed under duress,” Fairfax Media NZ managing editor for sport, Trevor McKewen, said.

“We are not happy with how restrictive the terms and conditions are, nor the manner in which CA has conducted itself around its negotiations. We will cover the test because our readers come first.

“But CA is doing itself and cricket fans a gross disservice with its attitude.  It is effectively trying to commercialise editorial news content so it can earn money off it in the same way it does with broadcasting rights.”

Post-Courier boycotts budget after Govt snub

November 20, 2008

PAPUA New Guinea’s leading daily newspaper, the Post-Courier, has refused to cover the national government’s 2009 Budget announcement, Radio New Zealand International reported.

The omission comes in protest after the paper was banned from the media lock up at the Budget launch on Tuesday.

The Treasurer Patrick Pruaitch imposed the restriction after the Post-Courier published most of the Budget’s contents from a leaked article at the weekend, editor Blaise Nangoi said, according to the report.

Mr Nangoi said: “We just decided we are not going to run the budget in [any] shape or form, even the Opposition reply which is general due a week after the presentation of the Budget to Parliament. We are just staying completely clear.”